The DENKARD is a ninth century encyclopedia of the Zoroastrian religion,
but with extensive quotes from materials thousands of years older, including
(otherwise) lost Avestan texts. It is the single most valuable source of
information on this religion aside from the Avesta.
Example of Middle Persian language written in Book Pahlavi script,
from Denkard Book 9:|
- (Books 1 and 2, and the beginning of Book 3 are lost.)
- Book 3: Doctrines and beliefs, conduct and instructions...
- Book 4: The writings of the Dasturs of the Arsacid and Sasanian periods
- Book 5: The writings of Adarfarnbag, son of Farroxdad -- The life of Zarathushtra,
and writing about the Selamis
- Book 6: Wisdom of the Sages
- Book 7: Marvels of Zoroastrianism...
- Book 8: Contents of the Nasks (Ancient Canon)...
- Book 9: Details of the Original Gathic Texts (Ancient Canon)...